040_Wassertor, historic coat of arms © Pagels & Press Office Wismar
© Pagels & Press Office Wismar
The Wassertor ('Water Gate') is the last of the five former town gateways remaining, originally integrated into the 4m (13ft.) high town wall. The gateway, built c. 1450 in a late Gothic style, replaced an earlier one on the same site. While the town-facing side of the gateway has a typically late Gothic steeped gable, the north-facing gable was rebuilt c. 1600 in triangular form. Both the gable's façades are emblazoned with shields bearing two coats-of-arms each.