Ducal Residence © Press Office Wismar, TZW
© Press Office Wismar, TZW
The Fürstenhof was the seat of the Dukes of Mecklenburg. In its current form it consists of two wings which are almost at right angles to one another. The western wing, the so-called “Old House”, came into being in 1512/13. It is still well and truly within the design principles dictated by the Late Gothic style. The “New House” came into being between 1553 and 1555 and is in the Italian Renaissance style. It is richly ornamented with sculpted limestone and terracotta decorative elements. The three stories are distinguished from one another by various figurative friezes.
The design of the portals of the gateway entrance is also richly ornamented with sculptures. Following the cession of Wismar to the Swedish crown in 1648, the highest Swedish court for Swedish territorial possessions in Northern Germany, the so-called Tribunal, was installed in the Fürstenhof from1653 to 1802. After extensive renovation work the Fürstenhof is today the seat of the county court of Wismar.