Bildimpressionen
Head Bild Bürger

Unternavigationspunkte

Sie sind hier: Startseite

Inhalt

Masterpieces of sacred brick Gothic architecture



St. Nikolai Church


Construction of the present church began in the fourteenth century, and its 37m (121ft.) high nave is Germany's fourth highest. Originally the tower took the form of a slender ridge turret, but was toppled in a storm in 1703. The resulting collapse destroyed much of the church's interior furnishings, which were subsequently refurbished in the then contemporary Baroque style. St. Nikolai was dedicated as a church for seafarers.

Heiligen-Geist-Kirche (Church of the Holy Spirit)


This rectangular hall-shaped gothic church took its present form in the fifteenth century, incorporating several elements of previous structures on the site. The interior is enclosed by a painted wooden ceiling, completed in a Baroque style in 1687 with scenes from the Old Testament. From the inner courtyard there is a particularly nice view of the church. Right next to the church stands the co-called Lange Haus (longhouse), originally built as a hospital, but which has long since served as a home for senior citizens. 

St. Georgen Church


St.Georgen Church is one of the three main churches in Wismar and a supreme example of North German brick Gothic architecture. St. Georgen dates back to the first half of the thirteenth century as a church for craftsmen and tradesmen, but its centuries-long construction time fell into the turbulent era spanning the late Middle Ages and the Reformation. After several alterations, the church was finally finished in 1594. During the Second World War the building was extensively damaged, but reconstruction of the church began only in 1990.

Exhibition: Introduction to «Red Brick Gothic»

St. Georgen Wismar

Opening Hours


St. Marien Church Tower


The 80m (262 ft.) high St. Marien Church tower is a landmark of Wismar visible from miles around. The church was badly damaged in the Second World War and in 1960 all but the tower was demolished. Until the war, it had been one of the most beautiful brick Gothic churches in Northern Germany. Construction of the former church of the town council is estimated to have been started in the first half of the thirteenth century. In the first years of the fourteenth century a church twice the size and height of the original was then built on the site. The dials of the tower clock have a diameter of 5m (16ft.), and the clockwork chimes with one of fourteen hymns every 12, 3 and 7pm.


Exhibition: Introduction to «Red Brick Gothic»

St. Marien Wismar / The church tower

The brick as building material

3D film presentation 

Opening Hours 

A guided tour to the top of the tower


Archidiakonat (Archdeaconry)


The house was constructed in the North German brick Gothic style c. 1450 as the residence of the archdeacon. Along with several other gothic structures around the St. Marien Church tower, it was heavily damaged in the Second World War and only reconstructed after considerable effort. Of particular interest is the richly crow-stepped gable festooned with wind holes on the north side of the building.

Fürstenhof (Ducal Residence)


The Fürstenhof was originally the seat of the Dukes of Mecklenburg.

Its present form consists of the joining of two almost right-angled wings.The west wing, the so-called Alte Haus (Old House) was constructed in 1512/13, but still bears the hallmarks of late Gothic design principles. In contrast, the Neue Haus (New House), completed between 1553 and 1555, is in an Italian Renaissance style, richly decorated with sculpted limestone and terracotta adornments. Its three storeys are separated from one another by figurative friezes, and the gateway portals similarly display richly sculpted decoration. After the transfer of Wismar to the Swedish crown in 1648, the building hosted the Supreme Court for Swedish possessions in Germany, the so-called Tribunal, from 1653 until 1802.