The special circumstances surrounding Wismar's town churches
The fiduciary foundation Geistliche Hebungen (Ecclesiastical Funds)
From 1832 until 1951, administration of the Geistlichen Hebungen was carried out - as provided for by law - under the responsibility of its two patrons, the mayor and his deputy. Since 1945, the Geistlichen Hebungen has been administered as an agency of the municipality and was later assigned to the Finance Department.Further Information
Die Stadtkirchenstiftung zu Wismar (Town Church Foundation Wismar)
In order to be able to permanently guarantee the historical preservation of the town's churches in the future, the Bürgerschaft (Wismar's legislative assembly) passed a motion in April 2008 allocating land that was in the possession of Wismar's Geistlichen Hebungen and which until October 3rd 1990 (German Reunification Day) had been incorporated into the GDR's 'public property', to the Hanseatic Town of Wismar with the stipulation to return the aforementioned property assets at no cost to the foundation. Legal clarification regards the dissolution of Wismar's Geistliche Hebungen was provided in a legal opinion given in December 2008.