St. Georgen Church Wismar - Wismar's Red Brick Gothic
On the night of the 14th-15th April 1945 two bombs struck the church, severely damaging the building. Between 1945 and 1990 the church suffered further decay and dilapidation – what was once a jewel in the town's crown took on the appearance of a desolate ruin.
On January 25th 1990, as a result of a severe storm, the gable of the north transept collapsed. This tragic event proved however to provide the impetus needed to secure and then rebuild St. Georgen. An urgent request for help was made to the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for Monument Protection) and before the year's end, the foundation provided a large sum of money in order to secure the ruined structure.
The municipality of the Hanseatic Town of Wismar took the task of securing and rebuilding the church in hand and spurred the project forward. St. Georgen became the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz's first funding project in the East of the then newly reunited German Federal Republic, going on to provide half of all the costs involved.