Bildimpressionen
Head Bild Bürger

Unternavigationspunkte

Sie sind hier: Startseite

Inhalt


Wismar's Town Chronicle


Year Event
1229 First mention of a civic charter for Wismar
1257 Duke Johann of Mecklenburg transfers his seat of residency to Wismar (it remains the seat of residency until 1358)
1259
Lübeck, Rostock and Wismar enter into a treaty securing their trade routes; Wismar has joined the Hanseatic League
1276 Commencement of construction of the city walls, which later include five town gates and 36 guard houses
1339 Contract with master builder Johann Grote to complete the chancel of the St. Marien Church (the nave is completed around 1370)
1380 A court book in Wismar mentions the name of notorious pirate Klaus Störtebecker
1381
Commencement of a new high Gothic chancel for St. Nikolai Church (completed c.1485-87 with the construction of the uppermost tower floors)
1404
Commencement of a new high Gothic tower for St. Georgen Church (construction of the nave is completed in 1478)
1524/25 Adoption of the Protestant Reformation in Wismar
1553/55 Construction of new houses for the Fürstenhof (ducal residence) in the Renaissance style
1569 Construction of the Schabbellhaus by the Schweinsbrücke ('Bridge of Pigs')
1580 Construction of the Wasserkunst (pumping station) in the market square
1632 Swedish troops capture Wismar
1648 Sweden retains the "town and lordship” of Wismar under the terms of the Peace of Westphalia, ending the Thirty Years' War
1653
The Royal Swedish Tribunal is established in the Fürstenhof, acting as the Supreme Court for all Sweden's possessions in Germany
1675 Wismar capitulates after a siege conducted by Danish, Brandenburger and Imperialist (Holy Roman Empire) troops
1672 - 1700
Expansion of Wismar's defences to become Europe's largest fortress with 18 bastions, 9 ravelins, 2 citadels and 700 cannon. The islet Walfisch in Wismar Bay is also fortified.
1690 Construction of the victual house at what is today the Lindengarten.
1700 (Re-)construction of the Zeughaus (arsenal) after the 'gunpowder tower explosion' the previous year.
April 1716 In April Sweden is forced to relinquish control of Wismar to a coalition of Northern European states as part of the ongoing Great Northern War.
1717 The citadels, bastions and a tower on the islet Walfisch are razed at the behest of the Danes.
1757 Wismar captured by Prussian troops during the Seven Years' War.
1803 Wismar is pledged to the Duchy of Mecklenburg for 100 years by the Swedes at Malmö.
1817 Reconstruction of the Town Hall in classical style after its predecessor partially collapsed in 1807.
1881 Rudolph Karstadt opens his 'fabric/textiles, manufacture, and retail clothing store' in Krämerstraße.
1893 Foundation of the Podeus´schen railway carriage construction plant
1903 After the Kingdom of Sweden forgoes the redemption of its pledge after the expiry of the 100-year agreement, Wismar is returned to the Duchy of Mecklenburg permanently.
1906 Construction of the road to Poel
1908 Foundation of the Engineering Academy
1925 Foundation of the Niederdeutsche Bühne ('Low German Theatre Company') in Wismar
1941 Foundation of the 'Hanseatic shipyard' at Koggenoor
1945 April 14-15th: In the twelfth and final aerial bombardment of Wismar during WW2, the Gothic Quarter - containing the St. Georgen and St. Marien Churches, the 'Old School' and the archdeaconry - is heavily damaged.
1946 Foundation of the Mathias Thesen Dockyard and resumption of port operations
1960 Demolition of the heavily damaged St. Marien Church (with the exception of the tower) by controlled detonation
1970 Construction of the sports centre / multipurpose hall
1988 The Engineering College founded in 1969 is promoted to the status of  Technical College.
1989 Foundation of the Social Democratic Party (SPD) for the town and surrounding region
1990 Restoration of St. Georgen Church commences
1993 Visit to Wismar by Sweden's royal couple
1993 Inauguration of the newly constructed pier in Wendorf
1994 Laying of the foundation stone for the 'Compact Dockyard 2000' - Europe's largest covered construction dockyard
1997 - 2000
Establishment of economically important timber processing plants in the Haffeld district
2000 Inauguration of the Wonnemar activity centre
2001 Norwegian chemical plant Jackon commences production in Wismar
2002 The Historic Centres of Wismar and Stralsund are added to UNESCO's World Heritage List
2003 The celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the return of Wismar to the Duchy of Mecklenburg receive then President of the Reichstag Björn von Sydow.
2004 April 20th: visit by then Chancellor Gerhard Schröder
2004 May 29th: Launching of the cog Poeler Kogge after 4 years under construction
2004 Swedish Festival and 775th founding anniversary celebrations
2006 125th anniversary of the retail company Karstadt (founded 1881 in Wismar)
2006 777th anniversary of the founding of Wismar
2011 September 4th: New administrative district with Wismar as district capital, with approx. 160,000 inhabitants and covering an area of 2,117 km².