The members of the Expert's Forum are competent authorities in the fields of town planning, architecture and historical monument preservation. One member each come from the Federal State Office for Culture and Monument Preservation and UNESCO / ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites).
Members of the forum are appointed by the mayor for a period of three years, which may be extended once by a further three.
The members are not allowed to have their home or workplace in Wismar or have any involvement in planning or building in the town for the duration of their membership of the forum, or in a period of two years prior to or following it.
The forum's secretariat is located in the mayor's office as part of the Department for Town Development and World Heritage.
In accordance with the aforementioned criteria, Mayor Thomas Beyer appointed the following persons to the current UNESCO Expert's Forum:
- Frau Prof. Dr. Sigrid Brandt, University of Bamberg, ICOMOS Monitoring Commissioner Wismar
- Frau Dr. Juliane Kirschbaum, Bonn, former Chief Executive of the Deutschen Nationalkomitees für Denkmalschutz (National Committee for German Monument Protection)
- Herr Prof. Volkwin Marg, Hamburg, Architects Gerkan, Marg and Partner
- Herr Horst von Bassewitz, Architect Hamburg, Scientific Committee of the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for Monument Protection) Bonn
- Herr Dr. Winands, Head of Conservation for the Federal State Office for Culture and Monument Preservation Mecklenburg-Pomerania