The UNESCO Expert's Forum for the Hanseatic Town of Wismar
The Expert's Forum's Duties
Thus, the Expert's Forum's advice is sought with regard to the following potentially problematic issues:
- Town planning projects, statutes and surveys relating directly to the world heritage site Altstadt Wismar
- The construction of new buildings within the boundaries of the world heritage site and its surrounding buffer zone
- Modernisation and maintenance projects in the world heritage site that extend beyond its boundaries
Members of the Expert's Forum
Members of the forum are appointed by the mayor for a period of three years, which may be extended once by a further three.
The members are not allowed to have their home or workplace in Wismar or have any involvement in planning or building in the town for the duration of their membership of the forum, or in a period of two years prior to or following it.
The forum's secretariat is located in the mayor's office as part of the Department for Town Development and World Heritage.
In accordance with the aforementioned criteria, Mayor Thomas Beyer appointed the following persons to the current UNESCO Expert's Forum:
- Frau Prof. Dr. Sigrid Brandt, University of Bamberg, ICOMOS Monitoring Commissioner Wismar
- Frau Dr. Juliane Kirschbaum, Bonn, former Chief Executive of the Deutschen Nationalkomitees für Denkmalschutz (National Committee for German Monument Protection)
- Herr Prof. Volkwin Marg, Hamburg, Architects Gerkan, Marg and Partner
- Herr Horst von Bassewitz, Architect Hamburg, Scientific Committee of the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for Monument Protection) Bonn
- Herr Dr. Winands, Head of Conservation for the Federal State Office for Culture and Monument Preservation Mecklenburg-Pomerania